Saturday 3 November 2007

Hunter

When I was a teenager I would make my little sister play Streetfighter 2 and then just experiment with the different ways I could beat her down. When I got tired of winning I would tell her to go away and load up a flight simulator and spend up to an hour looking out of the cockpit windows at green and blue polygons.

I had a demo of a game called Hunter. It was good because you could use bicycles, boats and other vehicles to traverse a bleak map of islands and sea. I remember getting in the green boat and heading out. Some of the islands had people, and the game encouraged you to kill them. In a world where you could go for a while without encountering anyone else, I found the killing difficult. Hunter had a mood of anxiety. I had butterflies playing it. The loneliness felt good.
 

No comments: